caching-nameserver -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 30 09:44:19 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> What's this "new" address?  One recently registered?  The company is
> right that some things will take a while to trickle through.  Some DNS
> servers cache things longer than they should, including "no answer"
> results.  And if your query goes through them in the middle, it's a
> while before you get the right answers.
>
> If you want to check sooner, you can do a dig query against the name
> server actually hosting the records.  That should work straight away,
> unless they're slack and not enterred the data.
>
> e.g. dig example.com @a.iana-servers.net

My daughter finished the new web page and transferred service to a new
host.  There was some confusion when it would display on this computer
with it's different dns than on the three others we tried and it took me
a while to realize she was talking about a dns problem.

She questioned the hosting company and they pointed out to her that the
numerical address should work, then I understood, should have tried that
myself but wasn't thinking clearly, if at all?

The result of her effort is at http://finepianoservices.com/index.html
should you be interested.  It took nearly 48 hours to show up on the
other computers using the Wildblue dns.

Bob Goodwin