Temp monitor

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Apr 30 16:09:32 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a cheap and easy way of monitoring the temp of my
>> systems in case our AC unit fails.  The company that makes the Unit was
>> $25K for really little more than a SNMP link to the unit.  I was
>> thinking just a simple monitor of the temp in
>> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM would do it, but on FC5 servers, there's
>> not output there.
>>
>> How do I setup ACPI to record that in proc?
>>

> You may want to try lmsensors to see if it can read your temp.
> Normally ACPI temp configuration is part of the BIOS. Unless there
> is a ACPI module specific to your machine (asus_acpi, ibm_acpi,
> toshiba_acpi, etc) or a DSDT replacement that adds the options, you
> are out of luck on using ACPI to read the temps. (Unless you want to
> build your own DSDT...)
>
> Mikkel

I put one of these units in our computer room for $250.
http://www.sensatronics.com/products_temperature_model_e.html

We use Nagios to monitor it, but it also supports SNMP monitoring. I use
three probes, on at the front, bottom of the racks, one at the top rear
of the racks, and one in directly in front of the AC unit.