Confession of error...

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:36:06 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> At 1:30 AM -0400 4/30/07, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> >On 4/29/07, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> >> (After
> >> install, do "yum update yum", then "yum update", then "yum grouplist", then
> >> "yum groupinstall <available groups you want>".)
> >
> >Don't upgrade yum separately first. While it may seem like a good
> >strategy, I got burned by doing so in this exact situation. The yum
> >got updated but the various python libs it depened on did not. This
> >left a non runnable yum and a dependency hell to sort out manually.
>
> This cannot happen with yum.  OK, it can, but it would be a very very
> serious bug if it did, either in yum or in the packages themselves, and
> likely would be reported many times by more diligent people and fixed very
> quickly.
>
> So update yum first, in case the initial version had a bug that was fixed.

OK ... maybe I misinterpreted what the OP wants to do. I was thinking
that he was looking at the possibility of a yum update between
versions ... maybe not.

So I will clarify ... If you are upgrading via yum, don't do "yum
update yum" after you have updated the repositories to the new Fedora
version ... do it before. My point is that doing a "yum update yum" is
not good in all situations when upgrading.

I did report my problem (and solution) on the list (1) and was told to
follow the yum upgrading procedure (2) and yum upgrading issues were
not bugzilla-worthy (3).

Ref:
(1) http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-September/msg00054.html
(2) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq