Gnome keyboard shortcuts in FC7

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Aug 1 17:56:31 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>> Sound
>>>  Volume mute - does nothing
>>>  Volume down - does nothing
>>>  Volume up - does nothing
>>>  and so on...
>>>

> Rogue:
>
>> I have got the first three working on my D810 and all of them working on
>> my mom's Inspiron.
>>
>> I am not sure about the other keys, but I am guessing that they work too.
>>
>> What issues are you facing?
>>

> It doesn't work...  ;-)  (Sorry, couldn't resist)
>
> But being serious, I bought a new keyboard from the evil empire that has
> a few multimedia buttons on it (Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
> v1.0, USB), so I thought I'd have a bash at making use of some of them.
> Volume controls, at the least, would have been handy, as my speakers
> have none.
>
> If you (or anyone else) uses Gnome on FC7, and has these shortcut keys
> working, can you have a look in the keyboard shortcuts preferences, and
> tell me whether yours has different shortcut names for the keys
> associated with the actions.  I'll just list a few.
>
> Action                  Shortcut
> Volume mute             XF86AudioMute
> Volume down             XF86AudioLowerVolume
> Volume up               XF86AudioLowerVolume
> Play (or play/pause)    XF86AudioPlay
> Skip to previous track  XF86Back
> Skip to next track      XF86Forward
>
> In the past (FC 3 or 4) I had to play with some keyboard mapping files,
> creating a custom map for my other keyboard, and set specific names for
> some keys. There were a few similarly named keys, but applications only
> paid attention to some of them.
>
> Yes, I've logged in and out, rebooted a few times, swore at it, etc.
> These keys are noticed being pressed by something, as I was able to
> configure the shortcuts by pressing those keys, and those names appeared
> in the configuration window.

Those are not close to what I have.

Did you use: System/Preferences/Personal/Keyboard Shortcuts?
If you do it that way, it will grab the actual scan code of the keyboard.

This procedure works for all buttons that produce a scan code.

On my Dell Laptop (work bought it for me!)
Volume Down = 0xae
Volume Up = 0xb0
etc

Good luck!