recording video from webcam?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Aug 3 11:51:52 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I see mencoder is supposed to be able to record audio from
> an alsa audio source, but I've never been able to get it
> to work. (I can start up arecord in the background, then
> combine the audio and video with a 0.4 second delay, and
> have it work reasonably well, but that seems kinda klunky).
>
> Any handy apps for recording video and audio simultaneously
> (with a v4l2 only driver - not the original v4l)?

I do that with a webcam using ffmpeg. The format for video-only is this:
   ffmpeg -f video4linux -s vga -re /dev/video2 demo.mpg

To add audio, you need to use "-f audio_device -i {device}" and specify
your device. I haven't wanted audio for what I'm doing, so I can't even
guess what the audio device on your system is called.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>