yum update

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Aug 4 11:38:25 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>>> Use the --exclude=[package] option like
>>> # yum update --exclude=kernel*
>
>> The above will not work since the * will be expanded by the shell not
>> yum.
>
> Are you sure?
> My impression is that it is only expanded if you happen to have
> a file called kernel* in the current directory.
> If it doesn't find anything yum does expand the argument, I think?
>
> However, I always say: yum update --exclude=kernel\*

	For what it is worth, I have in /etc/yum.conf the line:
exclude=kernel*

and it is working just fine. On every update now I see the line on the
screen saying global instructions are considered.

	An important part of this setup is that the kernel update just goes
away. If you just unselect a kernel update it will keep trying to send it.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User