fedora 6 kernel panic issues

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 01:04:17 UTC 2007

Jason Taylor wrote:
> Actually the controller is on the drive now, not on the motherboard.
> This has been true since the adoption of IDE.  The motherboard host
> adapter or interface is only passing commands to the controller which is
> actually on the disk.  It is a historical semantic misnomer that we call
> a host adapter a controller.  So by changing out the drive you are
> effectively changing the controller.
>
> Of course this says nothing about bad cables or bad power etc.

I know if you have one disk that is failing on the secondary for
analysis and a usually working disk as the primary, the primary will be
slow as the bad disks performance. Though it has been a long time since
I had the CD-burner cause errors on the hard drive, I seem to recall
errors mentioned regarding the hard drive on the same *host* *adapter*

I guess I should update to host adapter. MFM drives are pretty much
historical.

--
"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
- Ben Jonson