Dumb curiosity question re new ASUS motherboard installation.

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Fri Aug 10 15:34:26 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just installed a new ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard.  Used mkinitrd from my
> Fedora rescue disk to find the hardware in order to boot to Linux
> (Fedora).  I now have to figure out how to get my WindowsXP to boot.
> (That's not the question; I'll figure it out or get help elsewhere)
>
> But, the manual that came with the motherboard has setup disks etc.  The
> manual warns to do the setups and BIOS upgrades from a Windows only
> operating system.  My question is; what do people do who only have a
> Linux OS?  Are the setup CD's only useful to Window's users?  Or, is
> that warning only for liability protection?

What I have done in the past for a bios update is to boot to a DOS
diskette or cd which has the bios update AND bios burning software. If
they only provide windows based bios updates, which I think ASUS does,
then you must boot windows to burn the bios. What needs to be set up for
a motherboard? It probably has drivers and such which means you must
find the Linux equivalent anyway and all the other software provided is
probably just crap miscellaneous software that you probably don't need.