FC7 dhcp resolv.conf

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 10 16:02:45 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> The changes dhclient make to my resolv.conf are always crazy.
> I don't see how they could possibly work.
> It's a really bad feature of this program, IMHO.

Crazy changes by dhcpclient are almost always cause by a problem
with the setup on the DHCP server, or configuring more then one
network interface using DHCP and not specifying what interface
controls things like the default route and resolv.conf. This is why
there are options to control what dhclient does for each interface.
If you have one interface, are not running a local DNS server, and
have a properly configured DHCP server, then the defaults work fine.

Mikkel