smbfs

roland roland at cat.be
Sun Aug 12 06:24:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:56:40 +0200, Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 16:11 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> roland wrote:

>> > The problem is that I use Nomachine or freenx.
>> > When I connect a USBdrive to the workstation, he is trying to mount it
>> > with smbmount.....
>> > I don't know how to change that.
>> >
>> > --Roland Brouwers
>> > C.A.T. bvba
>> >
>> I don't know enough about either of them to say for sure, but
>> because nobody else has jumped in here, I will give you a long shot
>> - create a smbmount symling to mount.cifs - I think the format of
>> the command is the same.
>
> Roland, are you saying that you have a USB drive that's mounted on your
> system, and you're trying to share it with someone over a network?  It's
> not clear just what you're trying to accomplish.
>
> If you're talking about how to mount your USB disk on your system, note
> that both SMB and CIFS are network protocols for sharing and/or mounting
> Windows shares over the network.  Neither one is used to mount a _disk_.
>
> To mount a USB disk with a Microsoft-style filesystem, the correct
> commands are either "mount -t vfat" or "mount -t ntfs", surely _not_
> "mount -t smbfs" or "mount -t cifs".

> - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
> - CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
> -      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -

Hi Steve, happy to here you or should I say read you.

The thing is that I am connecting,with nomachine(freenx) to a Linux server
where Nomachine server is installed. This gives me a virtual desktop =>
www.nomachine.com.

When I place the memory USB-stick into the workstation, NX will try to
mount this, using smbmount. The rest depends all on NX.

Offcourse I can define a symlink as MIKKEL said. Question is, is this the
right way, and what is the best way.

You have to know that the workstation doesn't have a Linux installation
but Microsoft. Up till now I was only able to convince my clients to use
Linux in a workstation environment using Ltsp or Nomachine NX.

So what I do now is installing Centos64bit, then VMware then Fedora32bit
or Centos32bit and Microsoft2003 as virtual clients. So the client can do
what he/she wants.

This looks nice, but problems start with local applications, like the
stick or syncronisazing Palms.

Don't say that I am crazy, because maybe I am. :)

Thanks for your attention
--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba