Simple settign to get nvidia-96xx workign with Dell Lattitude C840

Arch Willingham arch at tuparks.com
Sun Aug 12 06:25:17 UTC 2007

I have been tryign to get nvidia-96xx (kmod-nvidia-96xx.i686 1.0.9639-1.2.6.22.1_41.fc7) working with a Dell Lattitude C840 (which has a Nvidia Geforce4 440 Go video) and Fedora FC7. After it was installed, I could reboot it but it would only get to a black screen and I could not get a log in. If I ctrl-alt-F1 I could log in. I coudl then get to a GUI screen but oonly by issuing a "rm /tmp/.X0-lock" and then "startx".

After doing a ton of reading and tryign a tonf of changes on xorg.conf, I foudn teh problem was in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-96xx. Originally it had a line that said "options nvidia NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=0" but when I changed it to "options nvidia NVreg_Mobile=0 NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=0" it started working again.

I hope this saves someone some time.

Arch