intel DQ965GF and nVidia PCI woes

michael cs at networkingnewsletter.org.uk
Fri Aug 17 16:36:49 UTC 2007

On 1 Aug 2007, at 16:25, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> michael wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 15:26 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it will take an ext graphics card. It is indeed for
>> dual-head that I wish to use this card (I've used it and 'nv' (under
>> Debian) in the past.
>>
>> Runlevel 3 hangs... does some ACPI, does some agpgart then hangs.
>> Can't
>> see an obvious error message
>>

>>> But which driver?  From the initial description it sounds like
>>> things
>>> are going south well before X even starts up, and a graphics card
>>> this
>>> old has worked fine under vesa, nv & nvidia X drivers for ages now.
>>>

>> yes, it's before we get to X. I'm wondering if its a detection of
>> SATA and PCI issue...
>>
>> anybody out there got this mobo and used PCI okay or had to do
>> workaround?
>>
>> thanks, Michael
>>
> The system boots fine with the onboard video, but not with the
> nVidia card added, right? Will the system boot Linux from one of the
> live CDs, or any other OS with the nVidia card installed? Even
> though it should not happen, it could be the card is not compatible
> with the motherboard. (Or you may need a BIOS update...) Remember,
> there are more then one AGV "standard". (Different speeds, 1.5V and
> 3.3V cards, etc...)

After much messing about, I've discovered that appending
  agp=off
allows me to boot into runlevel 3 with the nVidia card installed. It
therefore appears there's some problem within (Fedora's?) agpgart (?)
when nVidia card is chosen.
Anybody any ideas how to proceed from here -- let me know what
addition detilas you need.

Thanks, M

kernel: 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 on Intel Core2 Duo