new installonly arrangement in yum for F7

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Aug 18 06:35:33 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> I see that my /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf became a
> /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.rpmsave file, and none of
> the parameters I had in it were transfered to the /etc/yum.conf
> file.  And the man file gives no information about what you should
> do.

You want to set installonly_limit in /etc/yum.conf to control this.
This part is in the yum.conf man page:

installonly_limit
    Number of packages listed in installonlypkgs to keep installed at
    the same time. Setting to 0 disables this feature. Default is ’0’.

But be aware that the man page is wrong about the default value.  It
is actually set to 2 in the Fedora packages.  This has been corrected
in CVS, and will be in the next yum package release (whenever that may
be).

Experience is the worst teacher: it gives the test before presenting
the lesson.
    -- Vernon Law