F7 keeps locking up

R A Jon Hamelin jon_hamelin at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 21 15:45:02 UTC 2007

Les H wrote:
> Overclocking is a result of a misset bios code.  There is speed control
> code in F7 (and FC6) which might cause this, but I don't know the name
> of the precise bit of software.  What did you find when you pressed F7?
>
> Is the bios setup correctly?  If not, most bios's have a "reset to
> default" capability which can be used to restore the basic setup and
> then you can customize it as needed, if you are familiar with BIOS
> setups.  Otherwise, you may have misset one of the bus clocking bits or
> the cpu frequency.  Was this system working and you just loaded F7 or is
> it a virgin system?
>
> Regards,
> Les H
BIOS is set to standard for performance and  memory etc. is set to Auto.
Because of this message (Overclocking failed...) and the fact that my
system clock is reset 5 or 6 hours behind for no apparent reason, I
double checked the settings in BIOS as well as ran Memtest86. All seems
to be OK. The system was only running XP Pro prior to my attempt to
install F7.

I have had the joy of dealing with BIOS problems since my first
computer--an Apple II-- and have always put my own systems together.
Even the Apple II was a clone from Hong Kong .  However, after following
the threads for BIOS recently, I didn't really want to go there.

Thanks,

Jon

--
R A Jon Hamelin