ACHI support

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Aug 21 21:03:25 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I installed F7 on a T61 and am trying to work out some of the quirks.
> The first one is:
>
> The live DVD and the install DVD both fail to recognize the hard disk if
> the controller is in AHCI mode.  The workaround is to switch the
> controller mode in the BIOS to compatibility.
>
> It appears from what I've been able to find on the Web that AHCI mode
> should be supported by the ahci kernel module.
>
> Is it the case that if I install the ahci driver in the initrd, it will
> work with the controller in AHCI mode?
>
> Thanks.

    I read this mail 12 times and it is still a mystery to me at least.
I have no idea what the AHCI mode might be. If you got it loaded in the
BIOS compatibility why go back to AHCI. And finally why would a Linux
kernel need an AHCI mode?

    I will have a new BIOS soon and wonder if I will need to do the same
thing?

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User