Does anyone know how to get boinc running ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Aug 22 21:36:19 UTC 2007

Hi Rick and Others;

At the risk of appearing extremely dumb; I have put off diving into
security matters like iptables.  When the time comes, after looking at
'man iptables', it is obviously going to take several days, weeks
months.  So...

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 13:21 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 00:57 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Just downloaded and installed boinc.  I keep getting the error message
> > "BOINC Manager is not able to connect to a BOINC client.
> > Would you like to try to connect again?"
> >
> > I am flumexed.  It ran without problems under FC6.  I have tried
> > everything I can think of to trace back the problem.  Could it be a
> > SElinux problem?  There are no SELinux trouble shooter warnings.
> >
> > I installed it from root into a folder in user but all the permissions
> > look right?  Boinc_mgr opens but remains a sleeping process while it
> > tries to connect.
> >
> > I am running F7.  All suggestions warmly received.
>
> Sure your firewall is permitting it?  Try turning off iptables and
> running it.  If it works, put a rule in that opens the port.

How do I turn off iptables in order to try running boinc?  If it works,
I suppose I will have to climb into iptables before I planned to so that
I can write a rule.
--
Regards Bill