Virus

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 23 14:57:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 08:12 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I followed the thing you click and it's a odd web page that will
> take your E-Bay name and password if you give it. So more Scam than
> Virus it appears.

Nothing new in that.  But standard advice is to never to respond to junk
mail, in any way (which includes not following links in them), other
than hitting your delete key.  That link could have had an ID in it
unique to you, and you could have just added yourself to more spammer's
lists.  Never mind the potential of exposing yourself to exploits
through your browser.

Reporting junk mail isn't always advisable, either, unless you really
know what you're doing.  Those who don't know can end up making the
report to the spammer, making a report to a host that doesn't care,
making a report to a host that forwards your complaint onto the spammer,
making a report that cause trouble for the people who's addresses were
forged in the spam, and so on.  Various anti-spam systems have their own
ways of collecting data to identify spam that manage quite fine without
the trying-to-be-helpful amateur.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.