F7 is working fine

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Thu Aug 23 19:04:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 18:52 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> >    Both I think. I just started d/l i86-64 version and it is staggering
> > along at 27 KBits/second which is about right for my DSL system. It is
> > around 250KB/second and faster one way or the other but forget which. I
> > am too far from the telephone office for the faster DSL. I will have the
> > iso file in 32 hours it says :-[
>
> You should cancel the download and download the .torrent file instead,
> and use that with bittorrent.  From a console (# means do it as root, $
> as normal user)
>
> # yum install bittorrent
>
> $ wget http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/Fedora-7-x86_64.torrent
> $ bittorrent-curses Fedora-7-x86_64.torrent
>
> Unless your ISP is detecting and trashing bittorrent traffic, after some
> time this should max out your downstream.
>
> -Andy

I did a network install and that worked like a charm.  It only downloads
what you want installed.

One recommendation: use FTP rather than HTTP.  I think all the requests
coming in quickly to the mirror site were interpreted by their firewall
as some kind of DOS attack, so part way into the install my access to
the mirror would be blocked.  I tried several mirrors.  It worked the
first time when I used FTP access to the mirror.

-- Mark C. Allman,
PMP
-- Allman
Professional