Logrotate - daily log files for a month

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:35:15 UTC 2007

John Horne wrote:
> ? We want daily log files, so setting 'rotate 4' will only give us 4 log
> files. Using weeks is no good because a month is not a fixed number of
> weeks - 30 and 31 days are not 4 weeks and vice-versa.

I hope you realise that if set to daily, logrotate happens at 4:02AM.
That means yesterday's log actually contains 4 hours of 'today' and is
missing 4 hours from yesterday.
If you run automated report generation from the logs, eg. SARG, the
report will be incomplete unless the utility that generates reports is
aware of log rotation and takes it into consideration.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218