How to rebuild while preserving an LVM disk

Cliff Avey makalu at ansae.com
Sun Aug 26 17:41:11 UTC 2007

I have an ancient (FC3) Fedora that I want to move to FC8. I figure it
might be cleanest to just rebuild it rather that upgrading (if that's
even possible, it's so old). I can blow everything away except one
thing. Separate from my OS disk, I have to SATA drives built into a
raid-0 with md, and then an lvm physical volume group built on that. I
need to keep that, and I don't have enough room anywhere else to backup
and restore it.

If I unplug the raid drives, and rebuild my system, how can I hook them
back up? Is the configuration info describing the md array, and the lvm
groups stored on my os drive, which I'm blowing away. How can I save
and/or recreate it once I get the main system back up?

Also, I don't know if there have been major changes to md or lvm (or xfs
for that matter, since the logical volume is formatted as xfs). Will I
have any problems using drives set up with a relatively old version of
this software.

Thanks for your advice.