Linux stops working

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Aug 27 20:59:56 UTC 2007

> Uh, "dd" won't give you a functional system.  It will perform a byte-

That's not my understanding... AIUI dd will work fine if he is going to
a larger drive.  The problem he will be left with is that the
partitioning will reflect his smaller drive.

If he was going from a 160GB drive to 500GB as I recall, then he should
have a fully functional set of partitions extending over the first 160GB
of the drive and the remaining 340GB going begging.  He could go on and
fix that by adding a new partition and assigning the 340GB to it, then
formatting the new partition ext3 or whatever.  So dd is not something
that should not be considered.

-Andy