AppArmor for Fedora

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Aug 28 01:51:55 UTC 2007

Marc Wilson wrote:
> I'm not sure I'd call it a "problem".  It's just something to be
> aware of.  Any editor will potentially have the same problem.

Okay, fair enough. :)

Sorry to be argumentative.

> For vim, it primarily depends on the settings of the 'backup' and
> 'backupcopy' options.  If you're not allowing vim to make backups
> *at all*, of course, then it's never an issue.
>
> It looks like Fedora's vim defaults to 'nobackup'.

/etc/vimrc has this:

"set backup             " keep a backup file

So yep, no backups by default.  As a test, I added a set backup line
to /root/.vimrc and edited /etc/fstab.  A backup was created and the
context was retained.  So score another one for vim (I checked and
didn't find evidence that restorecond stepped in to help). :)

But you are correct in noting that SELinux can cause problems if
programs do things to mess up the contexts.  One example I have seen
is the vmware config script.  It trashes the context of /etc/services
and sets off some denials when daemons try to access the file.

So far in F7 I haven't had many issues with SELinux.  Those that did
come up I have been able to work out with the help of the tools that
are included.  Things have come a long way since SELinux was first
enabled by default (in FC3, I think?).

> I *always* make backups.  Learned that long ago. :)

As Mark Twain once said, "Few things are harder to put up with than a
good example." ;-)

If barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Jack Handy