sendmail sending slowdown

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Aug 28 19:24:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:16:30 -0400
Bob Chiodini <rchiodin at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with ethercap, but is anything else going on
> network-wise while sendmail is sitting there?  There is also a debugging
> mode for sendmail, plus /var/log/maillog might tell you something.

Thanks to both you and Andy for your very helpful replies.

This is a fairly restricted mailserver.  While it is reasonably busy, everyone
other than me accesses his mail through Squirrelmail -- I am the only one that
actually uses a mail client to handle my mail.

While working through your suggestions, checking the configurations and
writing an email detailing everything as I found it, it occurred to me that some
of the application servers also send mail through the mailserver.  (Status
reports and the like.)  So, I triggered one and watched what happened.

To my surprise, it went through immediately.  No pause at all.

That was most interesting, so I sent myself a test email from my main desktop
computer (this one) using email (http://email.cleancode.org/) and that went
through immediately as well.

That left my mail client as the source of the problem.  I downgraded Sylpheed
from 2.4.4 to 2.3.1 and the problem went away.

Weird indeed.  Especially since I have been using the 2.4.4 version of Sylpheed
for the past month with no problems until just the other day.

Sylpheed 2.4.4 still works fine with the sasktel.net mailserver which I believe
runs on some sort of Sun gear.

There is still an open question about why it worked for a month and nothing
changed except for the fact that it stopped working.

However, at least I know that there is nothing wrong with my mailserver, which
was my main concern.  And since Sylpheed 2.3.1 still works fine, I guess I'll
just stick with that one for the time being.