unable to use mpg123 as user

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 29 19:54:30 UTC 2007

Poohba wrote:
> I am not on the local machine (:0)
>
> Scenario 1:
> I use realvnc to remote into my computer at home.  Whether I'm at home
> or away the same scenario.  As user I get an error:

Dumb question - are you logged in on the local console, or are you
doing a remote login. By default, the sound resources are owned by
root until a user logs into the local console. Then they are owned
by that user until the user logs out. Doing a ssh or telnet login,
or a remote X login, does not count. This is all controlled by
console.perms.

> Scenario 2:
> I use realvnc to remote into my computer at home.  Whether I'm at home
> or away the same scenario.  As root it works fine.
>
> I can hear it playing on the desktop in the room, not through the laptop
> that I'm running the VNC session and I don't want to hear it on this
> laptop neither.  I want it to play through the local desktop :0.  When I
> was running fc5 it was working as I wanted but I don't know what I did
> to make that happen.

You probably modified
─/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms so that the default
values lets anyone from the audio group (or what ever group you
decide to use.) can read/write to it.

<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root

<console>  0600 <sound>      0660 root.audio

Mikkel