dd and cp -a

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Aug 29 23:22:36 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    I have this computer on /dev/sda and the new hard drive is
>> /dev/sdb. This F7 is all in /dev/sda6 and I want to copy /dev/sda6 to
>> /dev/sdb5. I tried dd but it failed I think because /dev/sdb5 is
>> smaller 10 GB than  /dev/sda6 which is 30 GB. It ended with an error
>> message.
>>
>>    So back to cp -a but there is a hitch. I redid /sdb5 with another
>> ext3 file system and I can mount it to /mnt on this computer. So it
>> is easy to cp all from /dev/sda6 to /dev/sdb5 but, with a simple # cp
>> -a / /mnt it will do all that fine but then want to copy /mnt to the
>> new /dev/sdb5.
>>
>>    Does anyone know a secret that will work? I will read man cp again
>> :-)
>>

> I'm not 100% clear what's missing here.  If /dev/sdb5 is
> mounted as mount then copying the stuff to /mnt has copied
> it to the file system on /dev/sdb5.  Remount it as / and
> you're done surely?
>
> (Aside: I think 10GB might be a bit cramped for a Fedora
> install if it's going to hold /home as well.)

    All that is true but the problem was the of= was smaller than the
if=. I just checked and dd has my entire F7 copied to the new hard
drive. I just had to make the partition a small bit bigger than this
one. It is there and perfect!

    So dd works fine if the partition it is going to (if=) is at least a
bye larger.

Now to have a big scotch :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI