SELinux survey (was RE: Stupid F7 boot loop)

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Thu Aug 30 12:13:17 UTC 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 14:03:32 Karl Larsen wrote:

>     Tim we have two different computers. Mine is in the study and it has
> tags stuck on the monitor with my passwords I use often.  I turn the
> computer off at night and when turned on it boots right up to
> Thunderbird mail.
>
>     Yours is at a business where strangers can find there way. And might
> want to do your computer harm. I have a DSL modem with a 4 port router
> that has a great hardware firewall. No-one has ever got through it in
> several years.
>
>     My computers are safe at home.

>From my point of view this is the main problem about security nowdays, the
fact of people thinking that their computer is not interesting enough for
strangers.
You might need to bear in mind that any computer connected to the internet is
a target, whether the attackers are bots or script-kiddies.

Maybe I'm being a little paranoic, probably, but the fact of having tags with
your passwords is a really bad security policy, again, don't mind if it's
your home computer or not.

I hope you at least changed the router password from the default one to one
more hard to discover in a brute-force attack. And of course, allow only IPs
from your internal LAN to access the admin menu.

If your computers are connected to the world, they never were safe, they'll
never stay safe.

Cheers
Manuel
--