DD not working

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Aug 30 23:52:01 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>     I will take what you said as a way to try dd again. I will take the
>> file system off the partition and let dd put it back on. Since this is
>> being typed on the current new F7 it is very close to working.
>>
>>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>

> Won't change a thing.  The end result will be identical.  dd will
> produce the same results as it overwrites what is there.  So whether
> you start with a \x00 drive, a fully formatted drive, a partially
> formatted, whatever - it WON'T matter.  dd overwrites (as it did when
> you first tried it, and as it will when you try it again).
>
> You can't dd a slice of a 30 gig partition (if=/dev/sda#) onto a 10
> gig partition (of=/dev/sdb#) and expect it to work.  IT WILL NOT.

    Come on for God's sake! I am way past this stage already. I am
taking this F7 on a 20 GB partition and putting it on a 30 GB partition.
> As I stated earlier, dd copies EVERY BIT.  So the partition
> information at the beginning of that 30 gig partition gets written at
> the same byte offset (assuming you didn't use a seek which you would
> not in this case anyhow) on the 10 gig partition which will not work.

YES YES

> Fragments of your files could very well be beyond the 10 gig mark on
> that 30 gig drive.  Those parts of files will not get copied.  Again,
> you clearly do not understand dd.  Trust me that it will not work as
> you hope it will.  And if there is some messed up data on the 30 gig,
> well dd will copy messed up data.  It copies bit for bit.  It doesn't
> care about file systems, file sizes, file names, or any of that.  If
> the bit is \x45 then it will copy \x45 onto the other drive even if
> that is a corrupt piece of data.

    Again for God's sake! The F7 I am using now is fully updated and
working fine. I want to put the whole thing on a new HARD DRIVE!!!!!
> Even if it somehow does work because as luck would have it all your
> allocated data is in that first 10 gig, it still will at some point
> puke when it tries to write a file beyond the 10 gig mark because it
> expects that it can seeing the partition info and inode table is for a
> 30 gig partition.
>
> dd is a very powerful tool.  But it does not work for your scenario.
>
> Jacques B.

    Now with your obvious wisdom tell me if the ACTUAL thing I am trying
to do will work. EVER.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User