DD Rules

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 16:22:43 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>    If you want to copy something big from one partition to another the
> old dd method is for you. You have to do it right. This means that:
>
> 1. The destination partition MUST be at least a byte larger than the
> source partition where the data is coming from. This is essential!

It must be at least exactly the same size.  Why should it be a byte
larger?

> 6. Always run dd in the source computer.

I'm not sure what other computer you'd run it on.  Do you
mean over a network?  Or possibly you mean the system you
have mounted as /, in which case see 9.

9. When using dd to clone a partition have both the source and
destinations unomunted or at least mounted read only.

--
imalone