Torrent Freeze

Per Anton Ronning pa-ronn at online.no
Fri Aug 31 18:30:32 UTC 2007

Robert Nichols wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> Thanks a lot.  It started downloading  with no freeze so far, and -c
>> made it append to the incomplete *.iso file already downloaded.
>
> You're going to be disappointed in the result.  The FTP client is
> going to assume that you have the first 363,593,728 bytes of the
> iso file.  That assumption is very wrong.  What you have is random
> chunks of the iso all packed together into a file.  The FTP client
> will append the remainder of the iso, leaving you with an unusable
> result.
>
> All is not lost, though.  You just need to get the first portion
> of the file again and append the remainder.  Let your FTP download
> complete, then rename the resulting file:
>
>   $ mv F-7-i386-DVD.iso rest.dat
>
> Now start the FTP download again.  Wait until at least 363,593,728
> bytes have been downloaded and then interrupt the download.  Now
> you can use dd to put the good pieces together:
>
>   $ dd if=rest.dat of=F-7-i386-DVD.iso bs=256k skip=1387 seek=1387
>
> Now you've got a complete iso file that should pass the SHA1
> check.  Note: 363,593,728 = 256K x 1387.

Thank you. I will go ahead with this when the download is complete.
Right now I have 1.6G remaining.

I also have another option: Wiley is publishing the "Fedora (X) and Red
Hat Enterprise Linux (X-1)  Bible" , which is a comprehensive and good
manual .
I have one for X=5, and Amazon now offers X=7. There will be a F7 distro
DVD enclosed in the book.
I may want to buy this book anyway, but I want to try out what I am
doing right now.

Brgds
PAR