DD not working--SUCCESS!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 31 23:49:35 UTC 2007

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>

>>> So far as I can tell, the important thing
>>> is not having a separate computer.
>>> It is not mounting any partition on either drive.
>>> A live CD can boot and run without using a hard drive.
>>> It makes its file systems in ram.
>>>

>>     I don't have enough RAM for a live CD to do dd. The Rescue CD does
>> not have dd. I'm wondering if the F7 DVD might have dd? It has it
>> somewhere.
>>

> You seem to have a rare rescue CD.
> One can get away with mounting a source partition read only.
> You can use the dd to copy a read only disk.
> Do you have a swap partition?
> Some live CDs can be told to use that.
> It doesn't matter much if a swap partition
> changes while it's being copied.
>
> I think that with the right boot parameters
> you can come up with everything mounted read only.
> In that case, running dd should be possible and reliable.

    I am WRONG. My F7 Rescue CD Rom has dd built in. I am wanting to try
it soon to see how a RAM mounted system Will work. I may need to load a
system just to have one working fine to put on the New Hard Drive. I
think tomorrow

Both Hard Drives will be running but not mounted or doing a thing. It
should be a perfect copy 8-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User