Fedora 8: X/Nautilus eating CPU

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 6 20:25:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:32 +0100, wwp wrote:
> Hardware just works fine apparently. And if I swap the internal
> hard-disk to the one on which my old FC5 system is used, I can't get
> the periodical short hangs (tried for a couple of hours).

That suggests a few possible things:

A configuration issue that's different on the other drive.

A hard drive hardware error that happens when some part of the drive is
accessed, perhaps an area not normally accessed by you but periodically
by a system task.  Try a smart test on the drive (man smartctl).

Power supply issues.  Your computer power supply having a problem, that
it doesn't work well enough all the time, and your two different hard
drives having slightly different power requirements (enough to be a
problem).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.