Users and Groups

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Dec 7 20:14:26 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>    There is no mis-information on the original message. My purpose
>> for writing the message was to see if anyone felt the same as me
>> about the problem caused by checking all the choices in the thing.
>>

> stop lying, karl.  seriously, just stop it.  your original post did
> not just "see if anyone felt the same as me".  and i quote from
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00927.html:

Snip

    I just re-started Users and Groups and clicked on Edit and
preferences and put an x in each of the spaces provided. Then I clicked
on Help on the top and then Help Contents and neither came up.

    The main panel shows nothing but my user data. This is what I saw
when I first tried to make me a Group member of uucp. I could find
nothing that has a thing to do with uucp! When I click on my line it is
just about my login. I gave up.

    I used #usermod karl -a -G uucp and that worked. It made karl a
member of group uucp.

    Went back to Users and Groups trying to verify that usermod did the
trick. This time I clicked Edit again and saw preferences and clicked on
that. I saw all the things with an x in them and thought this must be
right. But just to be sure I removed all the x's.

    To my amazement all the Users and Groups were displayed. I found
uucp and with the Group tab saw karl,uucp were group members. So it
worked. I pretended not to have my karl in the uucp group and clicked on
the uucp group and up came a Group properties window. It would be simple
to find karl on that list and put an x in that line.

    So my two problems with this tool is the lack of help and the way it
is found the first time you use it.

    There needs to be a way to tell the people working on this
application what is wrong. It is not a bug but it needs to get to them.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User