using iso image to install fc8

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 8 23:47:15 UTC 2007

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:21:06 -0600
Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:

> Is there a good starting point to read about how to get iso image,
> create install CD/DVD for fc8?

There isn't much to it, at least in the way that I do it.

I just copy the iso image to a directory on my fileserver.  I create a boot CD
from the boot.img on that iso (which you can extract by mounting the ISO in the
following manner:  "mount diskimage.iso -t iso9660 -o ro,loop /mnt/iso")

I then boot the machine using my newly burned CD, and tell the installer that I
want to do a NFS install when it asks.  Provide the IP address of my fileserver
at the prompt, and let 'er rip.

Note that you don't need to extract or mount the Fedora iso image -- just
putting the image on a NFS share is sufficient; the installer is smart enough
to look inside of the iso itself.