list subject

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:22:01 UTC 2007

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Just the opposite - everyone else is fully equal and capable of
>> defending the way they prefer things.  But, nearly every other list I
>> subscribe to is polite enough to identify itself with a tag and I don't
>> recall ever seeing anyone complain about it - _ever_.  And since I deal
>> regularly with both, I have no question about which I prefer.
>
> You must not be on too many mailing lists.  In my experience, after having
> been subscribed to, at the peak, of nearly a hundred and fifty separate lists
> (I'm only on about fifty now, spread across six e-mail accounts), I have seen
> the proportion about evenly split.  But this is the same as the 'Reply-to:'
> versus no 'Reply-to:' split; about 50-50.

Where likewise the only place I've ever seen complaints are the ones
that don't adjust the reply-to, yet the complaints are always met with
'it's morally wrong to do that..'.

> The easy thing to do is to use the standard RFC822 (and superceding RFC's)
> everything coming into a single folder is impossible (I got over 16,000
> non-spam e-mails last month from this one account (I have six)); I organize
> by folders, and kmail allows some really slick presentation of those folders,
> and does the automatic List-Id based filing.

Doesn't that mean you have to jump around in the folders whenever a new
message comes in or you want to reply to something?   I don't have time
for that.

> Incidentally, awstats tells me the Fedora-List delivered to me over 5,000
> e-mails in November; that's nearly one third of my e-mail on this account
> last month.  Hmm, pretty bad signal to noise ratio on that list, since I've
> only left 2600 or so messages in the folder since I resubscribed (after a few
> years absence; I unsubscribed after I got tired of arguing for what is now
> yum-presto) in September.  And I'm getting ready to clean it out; the archive
> will likely be left with less than 1,000 messages that have enough meat to be
> considered worthy of keeping around.

That's why I send it all through gmail...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com