list subject

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:29:36 UTC 2007

M. Fioretti wrote:

>>> it's smarter, too, isn't it? Spend ~100/200 bucks for a bigger
>>> monitor which dissipates more energy (=extra cost and pollution)
>>> instead of tweaking one's environment.
>> But if you buy a new one
>
> if you _have_ the money, you mean? (see the kindness part). Duh

I understand your point, but we are talking about people who do already
have at least one monitor - and internet access - aren't we?

> This said:
>
> 1) in another message you said that you are looking for a solution
>    that doesn't depend on a lot of local configuration. I agree
>    with the principle, but the way you're carrying it on this time
>    is asking for a lot of reconfiguration by _others, from the list
>    admin to all the folks who are perfectly fine the way things stand
>    so it's highly unlikely that you're get anything this way.

You've lost me on this point.  I've never had to configure/change
configuration or any such thing to accommodate the many lists that do
add the name tag.

> 2) A practical suggestion: I know for sure, because I did some research
>    some time ago but can't find the file right now, that there are
>    several scripts for semi-automatic management of IMAP local or
>    remote folders. Your best bet is to look if they can talk to Gmail
>    to rewrite the subjects there, move messages from the inbox to
>    another inbox rewriting the subject on the fly, something like
>    this. Let us know if this work, and good luck.

I can tolerate the list as is, because most of my other lists are tagged
and I just assume that anything that doesn't make sense is
fedora-related.  I'm just surprised that anyone likes it that way.
Wouldn't imap client operations have to be configured exactly the same
on every client (assuming they support the same operations) or you'd
have to be very careful which one hits the mailbox first?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com