fedora and notebooks?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 13 21:43:14 UTC 2007

Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides
> Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8.
> Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
> so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?
>
> Any help appreciated

I have a Thinkpad R40 that works fine under opensuse 10.2; I expect
Fedora would work almost equally well.

The touchpad works, including vertical scrolling.
The ultranav (little red joustick thing in the keyboard) works, and has
three buttons. Some people swear by them, I have to use too many other
computers without one to get used to it. Three buttons is nice though.

The modem works.

The wireless works with the madwifi driver (not included). Some have
intel wireless, that works too.

The screen works at 1440x1050. I really really like the screen.

The ethernet port works.

USB works.

Firewire is present, but I haven't tried it.

Mine has no bluetooth.

I hear the T-series have better compatibility with Linux.

I also have an Acer Aspire 3500 series laptop. It's cheap, I don't like
it, but everything works (except I don't recall using the modem). Screen
is 1280x800 and reflective. I like more depth to the screen, widescreen
is not to my taste.

Oh, it's worth test-driving the manufacturer's website too. I have been
trying to get drivers and BIOS upgrades from Acer's website. It requires
flash, on one series of links I start from acer.com.au followed links
and reached a panpac site where I had to choose my country. Australia
was not on offer!

--

Cheers
John