f8 boots!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 18 13:48:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 13:33 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I always keep a "single" option in my grub.conf , eg
>
> title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7) single
>         root (hd1,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 single ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/slash
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
>
> Then if there is eg a problem in /etc/fstab
> I can just boot in single mode and change it.
>
> I've never seen this suggested before,
> but it seems quite a good idea to me?

If you don't mind the security risk of anybody being able to boot that
way without asking for a password, fine.  You can always insert "single"
by hand through the grub shell, to any grub entry, if needed.

For myself, I password protect modifying boot and grub parameters, and
don't have any options for booting anything other than the main hard
drive without a password.  So anybody wanting to mess me around is
forced to open the box and remove/add a drive, or reset the BIOS.  Of
course that's do-able, but hard to do quickly, and without getting seen.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.