Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 20 23:17:12 UTC 2007

Simon Slater wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 15:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> ? What is "this?"
> 59.101.171.96
>>> from /var/log/messages.
>> If you're starting up sendmail on your laptop (or any other computer
>> on
>> your LAN), those name servers aren't going to help your sendmail
>> match
>> up IP addresses it can see on your computer and their host names.
>> That
>> has to be organised on your own LAN; I generally set up bind as that
>> scales well and I can add more computers, temporarily or permanently
>> without any fuss such as fiddling with hosts files.
>>
> Thanks John,
>
> 	With the few computers I look after (and my place on the learning
> curve), I thought keeping it simple and just using entries in /etc/hosts
> for each was the way to start.  So sendmail needs more , than that?
> When all is set up as needed for family and business then bind would be
> needed (along with LDAP, IMAP and web servers) but I have not started

Please, don't use Fedora for those. Look how many problems people are
having that are not self-inflicted. A cheap RHEL clone is a good
low-cost choice if you can do the administration yourself, and CentOS is
the best of the clones for most people.

If you _need_ the _latest_ software, and can do the administration
yourself, and can tolerate the occasional problem when something's
broken, then Fedora is a good choice.

If you want low-cost, better reliability and a long service life, the
CentOS. AFAIK CentOS 2.1 lives on, and that predates FC1.

> reading on any of them yet.  This is why I like this list, a good
> cross-section of Fedora implementations and platforms, with users
> ranging fom novice (me) to well seasoned and experienced.

I wanted to know how to set up a DNS, so I installed BIND (on OS/2, it
was _that_ long ago). So that's what I do.

What sendmail needs is speedy answers to all its questions, and since I
can configure BIND fairly easily, that's what I do.

It's probably not the only way (and it surely isn't the only DNS
server), but it works.

If you plan on doing it anyway, now's probably the time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait