Need a fetchmail guru (JoAnne D.?) who's been using it to pop his/her gmail

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 03:11:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 06:13:02PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> Humm, good Q.  Its launched at boot time by this line in rc.local:
> >> su gene -c "fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc /home/gene/.fetchmailrc"
> >> .fetchmailrc looks benign wrt that option.  It normally just sucks what is
> >> there and unread.  It will all be unread cuz I don't use the webmail
> >> interface.
> >
> >If you poll via POP3, downloaded messages are marked as read until
> >they flushed (=deleted) unless you tell fetchmail to --keep them. In
> >case of an error, they are not flushed, but still marked as read. You
> >need fetchmail --all then.
> >
> >If you know there are thousands of messages on the server and
> >fetchmail is interrupted frequently, set the --fetchlimit parameter to
> >the max.number of messages to download in one run.
>
> You folks are better than the manpages!  You write in english. :)
>
> Thanks.  And you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.

Give this a try.

~/.fetchmailrc

set     logfile /home/vikram/.fetchmail.log
set     daemon 900

poll pop.gmail.com
#poll imap.gmail.com
        proto pop3
        #proto imap
        port 995
        #port 993
#       timeout 100
        user "something at gmail.com"
        pass "XXXXXXXXXXXX"
        is gene
        no keep
        fetchall
        #expunge 50
        expunge 25
        flush
        ssl

--
vikram...
--
Q:  How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job?
A:  Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.