playing DVDs with totem

Abhishek Rane abhishekrane at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 09:25:32 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Abhishek Rane wrote:
>

>> Try removing the original totem that came with fedora 8 and installing
>> totem-xine its great and it plays everything
>> yum remove totem
>> then do
>> yum install totem-xine totem-xine-plparser libdvdcss libdvdnav
>> xine-lib-extras-nonfree
>> that's it !
>>

> this seems to have been the advice for quite some time now WRT fedora,
> so one has to ask the question -- why does fedora continue to include
> such a fundamentally useless player that lasts only as long as it
> takes someone to replace it after installation with something that
> actually works?
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> http://crashcourse.ca

It is not a useless player if you consider open formats of audio and
video..Fedora is ompletely free and opensource..Its for pure opensource
lovers for others there are distros like Ubuntu and OSs like windows
also AFAIK Ubuntu too comes with totem by default ! (correct me if I am
wrong) ...Totem is the default movieplayer in GNOME. totem-xine
basically gives totem the ability to play xine based videos.And the
other options like libdvdcss etc are just the codecs to play videos
which are licensed. Totem is very useful if you are into open codecs as
totem has features like TV-OUT,LIRC support et al. Personally i prefer
Totem over vlc which is a little difficult (for me) to work with as the
keyboard shortcuts of totem just blend with gnome.