listening to protected audio cds

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 08:27:40 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Has the OP tried playing using cdda2wav an example
>
> $ cdda2wav -eN dev=/dev/sr0 -t1
> plays track 1 from cdrom0,
>
> It can play from command line and get information from
> cd,

[snip]
> If this does not work, please let me know.  It has
> worked for me in the past.  It lets you also rip the
> cd to wav files which can later be burned to make a
> non protected cd for your personal use.

Thank you very much, Antonio! It seems to have worked.

I guess the problem was trying to get KDE to recognize the disc and/or
getting amarok to play it as-is.
One strangeness, though - I was able to get the cd-text with cdda2wav
once, but it disappeared and couldn't get it anymore. Is that something
that just happens with these protected discs?