Fedora vs Ububtu

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 1 13:01:57 UTC 2007

It gets sort of tiring to make unfaltering (to Fedora) comparisons to
Ubunbtu get rather tiring. There are advantages and disadvantages to
both systems. The fact that apt and synaptic are available in Fedora
makes the pup vs update manager debate sort of silly.

One gaping hole in the Ubuntu is how to do the equivalent of adding a
repository. How for example would you add the equivalent of the Dell
repository to Ubuntu. It is not at all clear, at least to me.
I am willing to learn if someone is willing to explain. In Ubuntu two
conflicting procedures are presented.

But the real truth is that the two systems are relatively equivalent. In
general  Ubuntu uses versions that are generally behind those in Fedora.

It often is pointed out that the update version feature of Ubuntu works
better than the update process in Fedora. But I suspect that is because
the programs available for installation are a much more a closed set.