SOLVED!!! Re: Fan runs constantly on (Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi ) Please help me.

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Sat Dec 1 14:13:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 15:58 +0200, bravo_elf wrote:
<snip>
> 1) How can I see my CPU usage and processes load? I mean something like Task Manager in XP,
>    when you know exactly which process loads your CPU.
>    I've tried SuperKaramba monitors, but only thing I can see out there
>    is the CPU load.

There are a couple of utilities.  If you are running Gnome a your
desktop, take a look at "gnome-system-monitor".  I do not use KDE, but
there used to be a program called kpm.  Otherwise, you can try "top"
from a text console.

> 2) Is it normal to see 38% - 40% of CPU usage when I do nothing with my
>    laptop? If this is to high, so I need to turn off some other
>    (useless)processes too?

38-40% on an idle system is certainly high.  But perhaps there are some
cron.daily scripts running in the background.  Also, yum-updatesd likes
to do things in the background.  But, the above mentioned utilities
should allow you to narrow down the names of the processes that are
utilizing your CPU....

HTH,

--Rob