Interesting message...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 18:35:47 UTC 2007

On Saturday 01 December 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Sat December 1 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> My lappy finally got around to actually installing the updates to make it
>> a fedora 8 install.
>>
>> Imagine my surprise when I saw the message go by that the cups server
>> couldn't be restarted because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf wasn't readable.  It
>> all worked for F7.  Just another of those things that make you go Hummm.
>>
>> Is this a usual occurence(sp)?
>
>I didn't get that one - did you reboot the machine since the process
>completed?

Yes, and it was not repeated on the reboot. Some things didn't survive the
update, like I had to have htop reinstalled for starters.  And all my custom
desktop icons are gone but that's fixable.

As for cups, I believe its working as localhost:631/printers is showing me all
the printers shared from this machine just fine.  But it took FF a good 35
seconds to run the first time, that is about 25 seconds too slow.

Re this constant cycling of the cpu fan, is there a bug in pcscd?  I killed
two copies, neither of which was using any cpu, but only got one copy back
when I restarted it.  And it didn't seem to effect the cpu fans cycling when
I stopped it.  This lappy does have a card reader but I keep forgetting its
there, and have been plugging in a usb thingy that works just fine.

I may be hearing things too, one of my psu's here in this room has a smart
fans, so I may be hearing that.  Way too many fans in here, 9 with the lappy
running.  8 w/o, 2 in the router (dd-wrt) and six in the tower this machine
lives in.  I should put the covers back on that tower as it might reduce the
noise some, but would raise the cpu temps too.  They hover in the 140F range
when amanda is at full song running gzip -best.

Thanks Claude, I gotta go help the missus with some Christmas lights.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)