OT: USB<->Ethernet printer server for router

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 19:56:29 UTC 2007

On 01/12/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Thanks. Now that I have the keywords I found several models on Ebay.
> > They all come with a driver CD for Windows. Is this necessary? Can
> > Linux be configured to work without the disk? Note that my HP
> > Officejet 4200 works fine in KDE as KDE comes with the drivers
> > installed for it already, but a friend's Lexmark E120 does _not_ work
> > in KDE because there are no Linux drivers for it. What is the driver
> > situation for these print servers?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> One quick check if if the print server supports IPP or LPR
> protocols. Most recent models should support IPP. The "driver" disk
> is probably a Windows setup program, and possible Windows 98
> drivers. You can usually set up the print server using a web
> interface. If it used IPP, chances are that CUPS will detect it for
> you if it is set to detect network printers.
>
> Mikkel

Thanks, Mikkel. One last question. This printer has a scanner built
in. I don't expect that it would work with this print server, but does
anyone know for certain?

Note: I don't _need_ it to work, just curious. It is not a purchasing
decision, unless one could recommend a print server that, unlike the
others, does in fact support the scanner functions.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.