broken yum after latest yum update

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 23:09:49 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 01/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Boom! As I wrote, your local lib install overrides the system lib,
>>> which breaks badly if they are incompatible. If you want to avoid
>>> that, you need to fix your ld.so* configuration.
>>>

>> So how do I "fix" it?
>> I'm guessing something in the process of compilation of /usr/local
>> version...
>>

> In addition to not setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is harmful ways, verify
> /etc/ld.so*  and kill your stuff in /usr/local until you know what
> you're doing.

Hmm, sure enough - /etc/ld.so.conf contains "/usr/local/lib" (and the
64bit system doesn't)

Is it supposed to be there? If not, what could've added it? Is it safe
to remove?

Judging from contents of files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ it looks like every
[package/program/?] can define its own set of library paths. What's the
proper procedure for adding those?