cannot connect to digital camera via USB

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 01:56:45 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 1:28 PM, Kevin Kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi LIst;
>
> I just bought a new Nikon D300 digital SLR - it uses a 4G compact flash card.
> I'm running Fedora 7 & KDE. When I plug it it I get the dialog asking me what
> to do, I select 'open in new window' and a new konqueror window opens pointed
> to 'system:/media/camera' but no files show up. Then I get a opo-up dialog
> that says :
>
> "Could not read file Could not claim the USB device"
>

> dmesg shows this:
> bridge-wlan0: enabling the bridge
> bridge-wlan0: up
> sky2 eth0: enabling interface
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> bridge-eth0: enabling the bridge
> bridge-eth0: up
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
> wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:6c:1a:97:32
> wlan0: RX authentication from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32 (alg=0 transaction=2 status=0)
> wlan0: authenticated
> wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:6c:1a:97:32
> wlan0: authentication frame received from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32, but not in
> authenticate state - ignored
> wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:14:6c:1a:97:32 (capab=0x421 status=0 aid=1)
> wlan0: associated
> wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:14:6c:1a:97:32)
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
> wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
> usb 5-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
> usb 5-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
> VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
>

> I'm not sure how to go about debugging this or even what device name I would
> use to try a manual mount command. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, would a compact flash reader be a better solution with Linux - my old
> camera used SD cards and in general SD readers worked fine with my Linux
> machines.
>

> Thanks in advance ...
>
> --

Hi Kevin Kempter!

Wow, a 448 page manual for a camera!!!  Cool.

I wish I could afford one of those.

If I were you I think I would:

1. Check and see that the "USB" mode and "mass storage" mode are
indeed selected (p. 225 and 226 of the manual).  Probably you have
done this at least twice but you never know. Remember that you need to
cycle the camera (turn it off and then on) after you make the
selection before you can use the mode.

2. Connect directly to the computer, no hub.

3. I note that camera uses special software to down load the pictures.
 This may be because they are in "RAW" picture format, which I know
little about..  This may also mean that the memory card is formatted
in a manner which Linux may not know (the Kernel message implies that
the file system is unknown - it is helpful to Google error messages).
A Google search of "Nikon D300 Linux" brought this issue to my
attention along with the mention of one of our more recent Kernels.
If none other respond with direct knowledge I would be sorting out the
issues brought up in Google.

I would appreciate knowing what you do find!  I may well want to buy a
camera like yours some day!

Good Hunting!

Tod