Installing thunderbird non-English dictionaries on F8

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 02:43:01 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 2:09 AM, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 2007 12:35 AM, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hmmm...  you didn't copy any of this from another install did you?
> >
> > Yes, I did copy it from a F7 installation. Is it relevant?
>
> I am just a long time user. It would take someone more skilled than I am
> at this to explain it.
>
> I think it is Antonio that has suggexsted checking file setting and
> permissions. As I recall just copying can change these.
>
> As an experiment. Close TB and do *not* delete the hidden TB folder
> (.thunderbird) in your home folder but rename something. say
> dot.thunderbird. Open TB and it will make a completely new one. Then see
> if the dictionary will install in that one. That would tell you *if*
> permissions changed, are different, from your original one and the new
> one. I would write these new ones down and match them to the old one.
> Might work. Won't hurt.

Thanks, David. Tried that, but with no success. However,

# dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 668187 2003-02-13 15:01
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.dic
# dir -l /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5687 2003-02-13 15:01
/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.9/components/myspell/en-GB.aff
#

According to

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

«Alternatively, OpenOffice.org also uses dictionary files compatible
with Thunderbird. To install the OpenOffice.org dictionaries, copy the
*.dic and *.aff files from the zip file to the components/myspell
directory of your Thunderbird installation.»

That is really strange!

Paul