[OT] Re: David S Wiener is out of the office.

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Dec 2 22:57:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:55:04 -0300
Martin Marques <martin at marquesminen.com.ar> wrote:

> Karl Larsen escribió:
> > Peter Gordon wrote:

> >> Why can't we all just follow ISO 8601 (YYYY-MM-DD) and be done with it?
> >> =)
> >>
> >    Because it was "not invented here". I have no idea why the USA uses
> > mounth-day-year but we  have done so all my working life. I did see
> > things from Europe with the year-month-day and was not confused. But it
> > can be.
>
> Maybe because you say "December the third" will in other languages it
> "three of December" (in spanish at least).

We can't all follow it because we don't all use the same date system and
it has no timezone attached so it can lead to interpretation errors. Its
also using a fixed 4 digit year so breaks in 10000AD but thats a minor
concern.

Alan
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 44th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173