compiz: mem leak?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Dec 3 12:34:11 UTC 2007

Hi all,

My F8 box seemed really sluggish this morning, so I checked top. Compiz was
using on the order of 1.2 GB resident RAM and another 1GB of swap memory,
this after an uptime of around three days. See:

$ ps u - C compiz
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
colin     2303  8.1 58.9 1008016 1223272 ?     RL   Nov30 323:22 compiz
--sm-client-id default1 glib gconf

It hadn't consumed all the memory of this two gig box, so killing it was
easy enough.

This is the second time in recent weeks I have encountered this. Has anyone
else seen this behaviour?

Is it worth filing a report of this on bugzilla? It is not something I can
reproduce at will; it just seems to kinda happen.

Details:

$ rpm -aq | grep compiz
compiz-gnome-0.6.2-3.fc8
compiz-0.6.2-3.fc8

$ rpm -aq | grep nvidia
kmod-nvidia-100.14.19-18.lvn8
kmod-nvidia-2.6.23.1-49.fc8-100.14.19-18.lvn8
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19-4.lvn8

$ lspci | grep -i nvidia
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100 GS (rev
a1)

$ uame -r
2.6.23.1-49.fc8

Thanks.